“It’s cancer.” is a diagnosis that no one wants to hear. Whether you’ve been dealt this card or are trying to keep it out of your hand, take heart that there is so much we can do to help our bodies heal and stay healthy. Making this juice that fights cancer is one of the life-affirming tools you can wield to take good care of yourself.
What’s In This Article?
What is Cancer Exactly?
It’s a word that elicits strong emotions in most, from fear to fury to despair, but what is cancer exactly? Cancer is a condition where cells grow uncontrollably and spread to other areas of the body (1). But our bodies are made up of literally trillions of cells that grow and multiply and die every day, so why would uncontrolled cell production be such a problem?
“Uncontrolled” is the issue. There is a healthy process by which cells are grown, divided, and die, only to be replaced by new ones. This is vital for our bodies to grow, to heal, and to thrive. But when this process breaks down, it can allow for damaged or abnormal cells that should normally die to grow and multiply. These can form tumors, which can be benign or cancerous.
While benign tumors can cause their own issues due to their location, for example, they don’t invade other tissues nearby, making them potentially much less of a threat. Cancerous (malignant) tumors, on the other hand, can grow into adjacent healthy tissue and travel to other parts of the body (metastasis), wreaking havoc in an otherwise healthy person.
Difference Between Cancer and Normal Cells
Uncontrolled growth is just the beginning of the difference between cancer and normal cells. Understanding the rest can help you begin to understand how problematic cancer cells are in the body and why they can lead to illness and death (2):
- Grow Too Rapidly – By growing too quickly, cancer cells never mature. The problem with this is that they never become the specialized cells they should be, which is what happens during normal cell growth. For instance, liver cells work to metabolize fats, carbohydrates, and proteins while removing alcohol from the blood. If cancer cells are growing in the liver, those specialized cells never develop, impeding this organ’s proper function.
- Trick the Immune System – The immune system identifies and removes abnormal or damaged cells under normal circumstances. But cancer cells are able to evade this natural defense system, allowing them to continue to spread and damage the body.
- They are Invasive – Not only do cancer cells grow uncontrollably, bypassing the built-in process of cell death (apoptosis), they can invade neighboring tissue and even spread to other areas of the body, called metastatic cancer.
- Influence Normal Cells – Cancer cells can actually affect the behavior of other, normal cells. They can signal otherwise healthy cells surrounding a cancerous tumor to make new blood vessels in order to keep the tumor alive and growing.
What is Cancer Caused By?
The answer to “What is cancer caused by?” lies deep in our genes. At its roots, cancer is caused by genetic mutations to cellular DNA (3). DNA is the molecule inside of every cell that houses the genetic information of an organism, the instructions needed for the organism to survive and thrive. In the cell, it’s responsible for four main duties: encoding information, mutation/recombination, replication, and gene expression.
When these instructions are damaged or corrupted, cells can cease to function normally and can become cancerous. Such damage can come from mutations you’re born with, but this represents a very small percentage of cancers.
It’s important to note that just because someone inherits a genetic mutation that predisposes them to a certain type of cancer doesn’t mean they’ll get it. That gene may not be expressed unless it comes into contact with a cancer-causing substance in that person’s environment or requires additional genetic mutations to occur in order to become active.
Most cancers occur from mutations caused by lifestyle and exposure sources: smoking, inflammation, viruses, hormones, obesity, poor diet, lack of exercise, cancer-causing chemicals (carcinogens), and radiation. This means that you are in far greater control of your chances of getting cancer than you might think.
Your habits, environment, and overall health play a far larger role than family history. Take your power back and be a leader in your health by making choices that support your body and fight back against cancer!
What’s in This Anti-Cancer Juice?
One way to be a champion for yourself is to consume things that support your body rather than fight it. I’ve designed this juice to be absolutely packed with cancer-fighting ingredients to help you help your body kick cancer to the curb! Let’s see what goodness I’ve put in this anti-cancer juice:
Bok choy contains a bounty of potential anti-cancer properties. As a cruciferous vegetable, it’s full of sulfur-containing compounds (glucosinolates and isothiocyanate), which are hypothesized to be the source of its cancer-fighting capabilities (4, 5).
The anti-inflammatory properties of lettuce may help reduce the risk of cancer by scavaging free radicals that cause oxidative stress (6, 7). These free radicals damage cellular components, such as cell membranes, proteins, and DNA, which can trigger cancer development and propagation.
Lemongrass contains quercetin, a flavanoid with both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which may inhibit cancer cell growth (8). It’s also a source of citral (found in limes, too), which is thought to be a cancer cell cytotoxin (9).
The polyphenols in apples, particularly the skin (which is why we don’t peel them), are believed to counter inflammation and oxidation stress (10).
Ginger contains high amounts of the phenolic compound gingerol, thought to be a powerful protector against gastrointestinal cancers (colon, in particular) (11).
Top Gerson Therapy Juicer
For those dealing with cancer, many follow the Gerson Therapy (12) regimen, a key component of which is fresh juice. The PURE Juicer is without question the top Gerson Therapy juicer on the market, thanks to its incredible nutrient extraction capabilities. Read on to learn more about this amazing juicer!
If excellent yield and superior nutrient extraction are what you’re looking for in a juicer, then the PURE Juicer is your best choice. It’s a fantastic cold-press juicer boasting a unique two-stage process that ensures the best of both, helping pay for itself with each juice you make.
Made of pure food-grade stainless and boasting an incredible 12-year warranty, the PURE Juicer company has truly made a top-of-the-line machine. It’s easy to both use and clean, all while looking marvelous on your countertop!
Here’s The Recipe!Print
More Cancer Fighting Juice Recipes
Keep the liquid love coming with these cancer fighting juice recipes from Juicer Test Kitchen!
- This high-octane green juice packs the power of cruciferous vegetables known for their anti-cancer properties.
- Antioxidants are the key to combating the free radicals that can cause and contribute to cancer, and this recipe brings in the big guns!
- Here’s another tasty green juice that brings tons of antioxidants along with liver and kidney cleaning support to help your body get rid of waste and toxins.
Post a comment below if you try this recipe. We’d LOVE to hear from you!