Acid reflux has sadly become commonplace amongst those eating the SAD (standard American diet). Changing up what you eat is a huge step in putting out those throat-searing flames. Juicing for acid reflux is a great place to start! This juice recipe below combines the soothing, restorative properties of fresh aloe leaves, honeydew melon, and cucumber. Try it today and see how it can help!
What’s In This Article?
What Causes Acid Reflux?
At its root, acid reflux happens when the lower esophageal sphincter (valve) becomes weak or relaxes too much. This allows digestive acids to escape the stomach and back up into the esophagus and mouth (1). There are many things that can trigger acid reflux:
- Being overweight or pregnant due to sustained pressure on the abdomen.
- Drinking alcohol, carbonated beverages, coffee, or tea
- Certain types of foods (dairy, spicy, acidic, fatty) as well as eating too much at once.
- Certain medications, like ibuprofen, blood pressure medications, and aspirin
Signs of Acid Reflux
Acid reflux, also known as GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), can sneak up on you over time. You may not even know you’re suffering from it until symptoms become more obvious.
Here are some of the signs of acid reflux, listed from least to most severe (2):
- Sore or horse throat
- Chronic dry cough
- Feeling like there’s a lump in your throat
- Trouble swallowing
- Regurgitation of acid (sour-tasting liquid) or even food
Why Honeydew Melon Juice Helps
One way to combat the irritating symptoms of acid reflux is by eating alkaline foods. Remember in chemistry class when you learned how to neutralize an acid? It was with something basic, or alkaline. This same principle applies here.
Honeydew melon (as well as cucumbers) are alkalizing in nature and can help offset acidity in the upper GI tract. Cooling and soothing, they are some of the best foods for acid reflux sufferers (3). Both also contain high magnesium levels, neutralizing acid secretions and soothes acid damage.
Is Aloe Vera Good for Acid Reflux?
Aloe contains gastro-protective properties that help prevent excess acidity from occurring (4). If damage has already been done from acid reflux, aloe has been shown to soothe and repair the damage over time. It can have amazing anti-inflammatory properties that benefit the gut when consumed.
What is a Good Melon Juicer?
I made Aloe the Inferno using the Kuvings REVO830 juicer. This excellent machine can do more than make delicious juice!
- Minimal Chopping
- Dual-Feed Produce Hopper
- Makes Smoothies, Nice Cream, and Nut Milk
- Super Quiet Operation
- Ability to Run Non-Stop for 45 Minutes
- 15-Year Warranty
- Can Clog on Pineapple and Soft Fruits
- Doesn't Fit Under Some Cabinets
- Requires Consistent Feeding
The Kuvings REVO830‘s point of difference is its dual-feed produce hopper. The vertical cut chute is designed to handle long produce, like carrots, chard, cucumbers, and celery whole. The 3.5″ wide auto-cut hopper takes larger produce like beets, oranges, and apples with zero chopping. This innovative hopper saves you tons of time!
The REVO830 not only makes great juice, but it also creates awesome nut milk, smoothies, sorbets, and nice cream. It boasts an upgraded motor, which is both super quiet and allows you to run non-stop for up to 45 minutes.
All this goodness is backed by an astounding 15-year warranty. I recommend this machine for any home juicer. It’s one I regularly use on my own juice-feasting journey!
Here’s The Recipe!Print
More Juice for Gut Health
Help heal your digestive system with these delicious juices for gut health!
- Another way to cool the fire in your belly is with my Stomach Soother!
- Try another Green Juice for Gut Health with this tasty recipe!
- Go with this super alkaline Green Goodness juice to help ease the burn.
Post a comment below if you try this recipe. We’d LOVE to hear from you!