Let’s be frank…bladder infections are absolutely NO FUN. When you’re unfortunate to get one, all you want is quick relief from the irritation and burning. Juicing for bladder infection may be one way to help soothe symptoms and prevent future infection altogether.
What’s In This Article
What is a Bladder Infection?
A bladder infection, also known as cystitis, is a bacterial-based illness (typically from E. coli) that affects the bladder. It is the most common type of urinary tract infection (UTI) in adults (1). While there aren’t always signs, bladder infection symptoms can be (2):
- Blood in the urine
- Need to urinate frequently
- Painful urination
- Pelvic pressure or pain
Bladder infections are uncomfortable but if left untreated may lead to kidney infections, which can be life-threatening. So as with all medical conditions, check with your doctor if you suspect you have an infection.
Bladder Infection Risk Factors
This bacterial infection can be brought by a number of different habits and conditions, as well as the result of physical anatomy. Let’s take a closer look at bladder infection causes (3):
- Female Anatomy – Females assigned at birth are far more susceptible due to the shorter distance between the anus and urethra, making the invasion of E. coli more likely than in males
- Sexual Activity – increased and new partners increase the risk of infection
- Spermicide and Diaphram Use
- Pregnancy and Menopause – hormonal changes are thought to increase infection risk
- Suppressed Immune System – diabetes and other immuno-compromising conditions increase risk
Ways to Prevent Bladder Infections
The occurrence of bladder infections is something we can Women are at far greater risk of contracting a bladder infection than men, but that doesn’t get them off the hook. There are things we can all do regardless of our biological sex that can help prevent bladder infections (3):
- Stay Hydrated – Drinking plenty of fluids, especially water, dilutes urine causing more frequent urination. This, in turn, keeps the bladder flushed out and helps prevent bacteria from taking hold.
- Practice Proper Hygiene – Wiping yourself from front to back after both urination and bowel movements helps prevent the spread of E. coli, and other bacteria found in the large intestine, from infecting the bladder. Also, regularly change menstruation products and avoid using vaginal deodorants.
- Change Peeing Habits – Peeing more frequently keeps the bladder flushed out. Also, emptying your bladder before and after intercourse helps flush bacteria that may have entered the urethra and prevents its spread to your bladder.
- Change Birth Control and Lubricants – Using diaphragms and spermicide is tied to increased infection risk, so explore other options with your healthcare provider. Also, use only water-based lubricants to minimize infection.
- Rethink Your Clothing – Wearing loose-fitting clothes that are made from cotton (especially underwear) can lower the risk of bacterial growth.
Cranberry Juice for Bladder Health
Cranberry juice for bladder health is well-known. Studies suggest that the phenolic acids and flavonoids found in these tiny fruits may help reduce bacteria and inhibit their ability to stick to the urinary tract lining (3). Cranberry juice has also been touted as a possible preventative of future infection occurrences thanks to its vitamin C content (4).
Also good for bladder health is pineapple juice. The enzyme bromelain found in pineapple is a powerful antioxidant that may lower pain from infection thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. Bromelain is also proven to act as an antimicrobial and is used therapeutically for a whole host of ailments (5). Both fruits are excellent diuretics, and the key to healing from and preventing future bladder infections is hydration and good urine flow. You gotta flush that bladder out to keep it happy!
Best Juicer for Pineapple
I made the Better Bladder on the Nama J2 Juicer. It’s phenomenally easy to use and the very best juicer for pineapple!
This machine is my top choice for the home juicer. Novice to juicing virtuoso, the Nama J2 is super easy to use and makes quick work out of any juice recipe. What makes it so quick and easy is the big produce hopper. All you have to do is fill it up (no need to cut things into little pieces…see that WHOLE PINEAPPLE in the above photo?!?), close the lid, and away it goes!
Because you don’t have to do much produce prep work, juicing is much quicker on the Nama J2. Since it’s a cold-press juicer, you still get good yield and nutrient values! Once you’re done, clean-up is a snap. I definitely use this juicer the most of any others in my vast collection.
Here’s the Recipe!Print
Keep Juicing for Bladder Health
Here are some more recipes to help you keep juicing for bladder health!
- Tackling a UTI doesn’t have to taste bad – learn how to make cranberry juice taste better.
- Dandelion greens are great for kidney and bladder health, so give this juice a try!
- Good hydration is key to a healthy bladder, and electrolytes are key to hydration.
Post a comment below if you try this recipe. We’d LOVE to hear from you!