Passing kidney stones is a remarkably painful experience that no one wants to go through twice, if ever. Like with many health issues, there are things we can do in our daily lives to help prevent them from happening to us. Why not try juicing for kidney stones and employ the power of nature to help keep those bad boys at bay?
What’s In This Article?
Causes and Symptoms of Kidney Stones
- Dehydration – chronic low urine volume resulting from not drinking enough fluids regularly
- Obesity – leading to acidification of the urine
- Diet – high consumption of animal protein, salt, and oxalates
- Chronic Diarrhea – conditions such as Crohn’s Disease and ulcerative colitis, as well as weight loss surgery, that result in diarrhea
- Medications and Supplements – some are known to increase risk, always check with your doctor before changing your medication regiment
- Family History – increases the likelihood of their development
The most widely known symptom of kidney stones is the terrible pain they create in the side, back, and abdomen when passing out of the body. I’ve witnessed family members first hand suffering through this process, and it’s not a pretty site. Symptoms that serve as warning signs before they pass are (2,3):
- Increased need and feeling to need to urinate
- Burning upon urination
- Blood in the urine
- Foul-smelling or cloudy urine
- Nausea and vomiting
- Fever and chills
Coconut Water for Kidney Stones
As dehydration is one of the major causes of kidney stones, being properly hydrated is an excellent preventative measure. Coconut water is known to increase hydration, as well as help prevent renal oxidative stress (4, 5), making coconut water for kidney health a great way to get rid of and prevent these stones in the first place. This recipe employs it, as well as the kidney-loving power of pineapple.
Compounds like oxalate and calcium can form crystals in the urine, eventually creating kidney stones. Coconut water not only increases hydration, it may also prevent those crystals from sticking to the kidney and urinary tract surfaces, lowering the risk of kidney stone formation (4).
Pineapple, too, may help lower your risk of developing kidney stones by offering low-potassium hydration (there’s that hydration again!). For those with underlying kidney disease, consuming low-potassium foods is a typical part of their daily diet. Also present in pineapple is the enzyme bromelin, an important anti-inflammatory.
I LOVE This Stainless Steel Juicer!
I made the Tropi-Coco Mylk on the PURE Juicer. This all stainless steel juicer is the undisputed champion in its class!
What makes the PURE Juicer so amazing? It holds the title for best yield AND nutrient extraction of any table-top model on the market. Their unique 2-step cold press process, with it’s 2.5-ton hydraulic press, makes these both possible. With pineapples, you’ll easily get 30-50% more juice yield than any other top juicer! Talk about a machine that pays for itself!
I also love that you can do more than just juice: make fresh nut milk, cauliflower rice, baby food, and even grind coffee! Also awesome is its all-stainless steel construction backed by a whopping 12-year warranty. I highly recommend the PURE Juicer for any serious home or light commercial juicer.
Here’s the Recipe!Print
More Juice Recipes for Kidney Health
Try more juice recipes for kidney health to help your body help itself!
- Hydration is key to healthy kidneys, so try this delicious watermelon juice recipe!
- Here’s a fun take on a traditional fresh coconut milk recipe!
- Honeydew melon takes center stage in this electrolyte juice recipe.
Post a comment below if you try this recipe. We’d LOVE to hear from you!